02 October 2008

"I never laugh

until I've had my coffee."
--Clark Gable

in my previous post, i mentioned that i drink black coffee. if i had religion, anything but black coffee would be against it.

i don't drink lattes.

tonight at caffiend, asheville's 24 hour coffee shop, i got a latte. i humored my favorite barista, ian, and let him play the fun barista game. this is the game when someone walks into your shop and says, "what do i want?"
usually, at this point the barista gets over-excited and starts asking you lots of questions.

"hot or cold?"
if hot:
"caffeinated?"
if cold:
"blended or over ice?"
then:
"do you like chocolate? white chocolate? fruit? nuts? strong? weak?"

tonight, i was on the other side of the counter and played the game.

"hot or cold?"
hot.
"caffeinated?"
yes.
"chocolatey, nutty, or fruity?"
chocolatey.
"okay..."
small. skim. have fun.

he made me a delicious peppermint mocha. he can foam the jesus out of some milk. (does milk have jesus? SHOULD milk have jesus?) and he completely reaffirmed why i don't drink lattes.

they're too delicious and sinful.

i started the consuming process by taking off the lid and enjoying the foam for a bit. then i started on the latte. it was creamy and delicious and not too sweet. i finished it and drank every last bit of foam and stared at the bottom of my empty cup with great disdain.

after i realized what i had done (drank the latte, enjoyed it to the point of feeling contempt for the small size i chose, and thought about getting another one), i wanted to take myself out back and give myself a good talking to.

that is the last latte i will drink for a long time. it was a perfect, delicious treat that i will not let myself indulge in for quite a while. and, well...sugar and milk aside, there simply isn't enough caffeine in lattes. a small cup of coffee would have given me a little more of a jolt (or psychological jolt...caffeine is a topic for another day) and i wouldn't have felt like i'd just committed a mortal sin.

i am grateful for that little creamy, foamy, sweet, delicious drink. but the next time i go to a coffee shop...it's back to black drip or espresso.

1 comment:

Nazaire said...

Jeez... the coffee equivalent of being the last man a lesbian was with.

Sorta.

I am truly flattered, my lady.

:-*